About The College
The Institute of Advanced Study in Education, Saidapet, Chennai-15, popularly known as Teachers College is the premier Teacher Training institution in our country and the first of its kind in Asia. IASE is also the largest Teacher Training Center in TamilNadu. Its origin is to be traced back to the Government Normal School started in Vepery in 1856. The affiliation of the Normal School with the University of Madras in 1887 marks the next important milestone in its history. The institution then came, to be called the Teachers College and the college was shifted to Saidapet the present premises the same year.
The college building was constructed in 1889. In 1949, the Tamil Pandits Training section was added to this College. In 1949, the Collegiate Teachers Certificate course was started for Secondary grade teachers with a degree. In 1952, this Collegiate Teachers Certificate course was affiliated to the University of Madras and came to be known as the Shortened B. T. Course. M. Ed. Class on Inter-collegiate basis was introduced in the college in 1953.
In 1972 the University re-organized the B. T. course and gave its present name, the B. Ed. Course. The M. Ed. Course (Evening Class) was introduced in the college in1974. The college celebrated its Post Centenary Silver Jubilee (125th Year) on 30.03. 1981. M. Phil. Course was introduced in 1986. The college has been recognized for conducting research leading to Ph. D. in Education both on part-time and full-time basis from the academic year 1986.
The College was upgraded as IASE with liberal assistance from the Central Government from the year 1990. Institute of Advanced Study in Education was accredited with FOUR Stars by NAAC in 1999. Institute of Advanced Study in Education was reaccredited with B + from March 2007. The college was granted AUTONOMOUS status by the UGC from the academic year 2005-06. The college celebrated its POST CENTENARY GOLDEN JUBILEE on 30-03-2006.